Her audition: Autumn Turner, 25, of Montclair, N.J., auditioned with Donna Summer’s “Last Dance.” Adam Levine turned around early in the performance. Eventually, so did Gwen Stefani, Alicia Keys and Blake Shelton, giving Autumn the third four-chair turn of Season 12. Adam said Autumn has the vocal skill to win Season 12, but she opted to join Team Alicia.
Her background: Autumn’s mother signed her up for figure skating at age 3 and she competed for several years, calling it an “exhilarating experience.” For the past nine years, Autumn has been teaching ice skating. As for music, Autumn says it wasn’t a big thing for her until high school when she became a member of a three-girl singing group. They performed together for about two years, “but it didn’t appear like we were going to get anywhere.” So she put music to the side. She chose her audition song because it might have been her “last dance” as a singer if she failed to turn a chair. No problem there.
What the show didn’t show:
* She grew up singing in church and choir, according to her bio on The Voice website.
* Autumn has been coaching ice skating since age 16.
* The local girl group she joined was called Bloom, also featuring Tyree Marshall and Kyra Marshall. They still have music posted on Soundcloud.
* She attended Montclair State University where she minored in musical theater.
* Her Voice bio says she works as an English teacher at a private school in New Jersey.
* About three years ago, she helped launch a three-piece band called Autum and the Turners. You can check out two of their performances below.
* On Facebook, she describes her genre as soul pop and lists her influences as The Jackson 5 and Jessie J.
* During a conference call with the media, Autumn said she went into the audition thinking she’d prefer to work with Alicia Keys. But she admits she changed her mind “about 17 times” while the judges were making their pitches. “And then the final thing (Alicia) said was ‘have fun and be yourself.’ That was for me.” On the show, she said it’s the same advice she gives her students.