Her audition: Caroline Sky, 16, of San Anselmo, Calif., auditioned with “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” by Carole King. Gwen Stefani turned midway through the performance; Blake Shelton joined her just as it wound down. Gwen said she loved her voice and her control. Caroline opted to join Team Gwen.
Her background: She said she grew up around music. Her family had their own little band called The Rockin’ Robins “because that was one of the only songs we all knew how to play,” Caroline said. When she was 12, she wanted to get more into folk and rock music and started doing benefit concerts. She also sings at music festivals and bars and shared the story of one night when she wasn’t allowed to perform inside a 21-and-older venue, so she played on the sidewalk outside and they piped the music inside.
What the show didn’t show:
* According to her bio on The Voice website, her first concert was watching Alicia Keys and she’s been hooked on music ever since.
* At age 9, she landed a spot on the San Francisco Girls Chorus. Eventually, she was chosen to sing in Chorissima, the chorus’s professional touring group. She left in 2013 to pursue a solo career.
* She performs around the San Francisco area with the help of her dad. According to her hometown newspaper, other notable San Francisco area performances include the San Francisco Opera’s 2012 production of “Turandot,” the inauguration of San Francisco’s mayor and a ceremony honoring the 50th anniversary of Tony Bennett’s “I Left My Heart in San Francisco.”
* Caroline released a five-track, self-titled EP in January 2015. The single from the EP was called “Awake Now.” You can check out the official video below. Caroline said all the songs on the EP are originals she wrote.
* Caroline performed a duet of John Lennon’s “Imagine” with the legendary Joan Baez. She has also performed with guitarist Jose Neto, a member of Steve Winwood’s band, and with former Night Ranger Jeff Watson.
* Grammy-award winning producer Narada Michael Walden featured her in a rendition of “You Are the Sunshine of My Life” for a show at the Throckmorton Theater in the Bay area of California.
* Caroline describes her music as pop, with touches of soul and folk and counts Carole King as one of her major influences. “Even if I’m taking an old song, an old Carol King song, I try to put my own spin on it,” she told Voice Views in a conference call with the media this week.
* As for selecting Gwen as her coach — “I’ve been listening to Gwen since I was a little girl and I think she really embodies a lot of what I’m trying to do,” Caroline said. “She started her band when she was pretty much the same age as me and has become a huge success, you know, sharing her music with the world. And that’s something that I really aspire to do. So for me, it was kind of like a role model decision. I look up to her so much so I knew that it was the right choice to pick her.”
“Awake Now” video
“Leave My Love”