Her audition: Gaby Borromeo, 22, of Seattle, Wash., auditioned with “Happy” by Leona Lewis. Midway through the performance, Adam Levine and Blake Shelton turned around almost simultaneously. Adam stormed the stage and hugged Gabby and said she could win the show. Gabby opted to join Team Adam.
Her background: She grew up around music and her parents enrolled her in vocal lessons at age 9. By 12, she was making demos and “fell in love with being in the studio.” At 15, she moved to New York City where her sister was living. She got her GED online and was recording music regularly. She also met and got to work with John Legend. She said she wound up with a production deal, but bounced from production house to production house and took a break from music. More recently, she was working at the Boom Boom Room in New York when she sang an original for one of her managers and he suggested she give The Voice a try.
What the show didn’t show:
* In 2012, she released a dance single called “Not That Chick” that’s still available on iTunes. The lyric video is embedded below.
* You can check out that song and other Gaby originals on her Soundcloud page.
* The same year, at age 17, she teamed up with well-known hip-hop producer Rockwilder to create a seven-minute music video/PSA called “New Day,” warning teens of the dangers of domestic violence, drug abuse and prostitution.
* According to her BandPage bio, she can sing in French, Italian, Filipino and English.
* In addition to her music, she’d done modeling work and received training in acting, musical theater, classical music and opera.
* She also received formal ballet training at the Ballet Academy of Performing Arts, the Pacific Northwest Ballet School and the International School of Ballet.
* Her Bandpage bio also indicated that Gaby — full name Gabrielle — was traveling to the Philippines with her family each year to provide medical help to those in need.
* In 2016, her song “Not As Advertised” was featured on the soundtrack for the webisode comedy series “Farmed and Dangerous.”
* During a conference call with the media, Gaby said she was in about three production deals. “It was just like being in the studio, singing all these songs and it just really got nowhere.” But she said she’s determined to pursue her dream. “If I still have this love and keep going with it, I know it’s going to take me somewhere.” One thing she took away from her work with John Legend was “how he writes, how he sings. He’s just in love with it.”
* She also said Maroon 5’s “Songs About Jane” is one of her favorite albums of all time. “I think I just want to learn independence from Adam. And confidence. You kind of see on stage (during the blind audition), I was a little nervous.”
“I’m Not That Chick” (lyric video from 2012 single)