If you’ve seen the commercials, you probably get the concept. Four diverse artists are seated on stage. In order to retain their chair, they must fend off challenges from others auditioning for the show.
Fergie is set to host. Judges for the competition include Sean “Diddy” Combs, DJ Khaled, Meghan Trainor and record label executive Charlie Walk.
So let’s learn a little about Lex Lu.
* She was born and raised in Los Angeles. Her real name is Alexis Boyd and she’s 32.
* On her website, she describes her music as a mix of hip-hop, soul and pop and says her goal is to “redefine the status quo of the female rapper.”
* She got her start in entertainment as a dancer. One of the first major artists she worked with was Missy Elliott. According to publicity for The Four, she’s also danced backup for Kanye West, Jay-Z and Snoop Dogg.
“A lot of time as a dancer, you get no recognition,” she says in a promo video for The Four. “No one knows who you are. You’re in the background. That’s your role. As an artist, I’m starting from the bottom again.”
* Perhaps, but she has a pretty large following on social media, included 12,600 followers on Instagram.
* She’s also released more original music than the other three of the original four combined. That includes a 2017 album called “LexAngeles” that she describes as a completely independent venture.
* She’s posted videos for two songs from that album on YouTube — “Kill Bill” and “Light Switch.”
* Her previously releases include a 2014 album called “The Adventures of Lex Lu” and an EP called “Ex-Girlfriend.”
* Says Diddy: “She’s fresh. She’s a great performer. She definitely sets the bar for us in hip-hop.”
Here are Lex Lu’s social media links: