If last week taught us anything about Season 13 of The Voice, it’s that iTunes rankings might not be as good an indicator of outcome as they’ve been in the past.
Consider Jon Mero. He finished fourth among the Top 12 on iTunes, yet he was the singer eliminated last week.
Consider Shi’Ann Jones. She finished 12th among the Top 12 on iTunes, nearly 130 spots below Jon and 67 spots below any other member of the Top 12. She was voted to safety.
One more singer goes home this week, when the contestants will sing songs suggested by their fans. Hopefully, that means they had their choice of any fan-recommended song.
Here’s are this week’s rankings. The number in parenthesis is last week’s ranking.
1. Davon Jones (1) (Team Jennifer): Nothing that transpired last week would prompt me to move Davon from the top spot. He pranced and prowled the stage like a professional and delivered a top-notch vocal all the while.
2. Addison Agen (3) (Team Adam): Addison moves up one spot based on last week’s brilliant performance of “She Used to be Mine.” A female singer-songwriter has never won The Voice. Could young Addison be the first?
3. Noah Mac (2) (Team Jennifer): Noah slips a spot, but that has more to do with Addison’s performance than anything he did wrong. I still think he’s a likely finalist. Hard to believe he and Addison were both set free by their original coaches.
4. Chloe Kohanski (6) (Team Blake): This young lady has one dedicated fan base. She wound up with three songs in the iTunes Top 100 when voting ended last week. If she finds the right song and can apply that “Landslide touch, the sky’s the limit.
5. Red Marlow (4) (Team Blake): None of The Voice’s country foursome did especially well on iTunes last week, but Red turned in the best performance. Maybe it is a case of the country vote being split too many ways.
6. Brooke Simpson (5) (Team Miley): Forced to sing first last week, Brooke wasn’t quite as smooth as she has been last week, but she still sailed into the Top 11 on fan voting. She remains one of the top pure vocalists on the show.
7. Janice Freeman (10) (Team Miley): She’ll belt note for note with Brooke in the battle of powerhouse female vocalists. Her cover of “The Story” had more power and less emotion than I prefer, but I was clearly in the minority.
8. Keisha Renee (8) (Team Blake): I said last week my only problem with Keisha is her authenticity as a country singer. Trying to turn “Midnight Train to Georgia” into a country song only reinforced that concern.
9. Ashland Craft (7) (Team Miley): Were Miley and Adam serious about wanting to challenge Blake with a country singer? If so, they need to do a heck of a lot better job of picking songs. Wanting to let Ashland show off her fiery side, Miley had her sing “Delta Dawn.” Hmm.
10. Adam Cunningham (11) (Team Adam): Good news part 1: He survived last week’s disastrous song choice. Good news part 2: Fans aren’t likely to suggest a Phil Collins song this week.
11. Shi’Ann Jones (12) (Team Jennifer): The teen with tons of potential has just one problem. Season 13 is loaded with more experienced and supremely talented singers.