The Top 4 on The Voice square off Monday night with the Season 13 crown on the line.
Unless The Voice revises the format, here’s how it will work.
1. Each singer will perform a new cover song.
2. Each singer will perform an original song.
3. Each singer will perform a duet with his or her coach.
The new cover and the original will count for voting purposes. This week, the duets WILL NOT.
And here is how I’m ranking the Top 4.
I offer the rankings with this caveat: A trio of amazing performances by any of the contestants beow could change my mind about who deserves to become the Season 13 champ. This is an extremely talented Top 4.
1. Chloe Kohanski (Team Blake): It boils down to this: whose performances from The Voice would I be most likely to listen to over and over again. There’s a reason Chloe’s the only Season 13 artist to hit #1 on iTunes. And she did it twice. Her “Total Eclipse” performance eclipsed every other one during Season 13 and should go down as one of the show’s all-time best. A female rocker type has never won The Voice. One more solid week of performances, and that should change.
2. Addison Agen (Team Adam): Before Season 13 began, when there was just a spoiler list of rumored contestants, I began listening to music those individuals had already released and stumbled upon a great album called “New Places.” And then was amazed to find out that very mature sounding album came from a 15-year-old. I still didn’t know if The Voice, or its fans, would embrace a teenage female singer-songwriter. Thankfully, they have.
3. Red Marlow (Team Blake): Yep, another Team Bake country singer. But to dismiss Red as that, or suggest that’s the only reason he’s in the finals, is a disservice. Red released three fine EPs before the show. He’s been one of the show’s most consistent performers. Does the guy ever hit a bum note? He’s coming off a Top 8 performance (“Go Rest High on that Mountain”) that might have been his best yet. Beyond that, he comes off as a humble and damn likable guy.
4. Brooke Simpson (Team Miley): Wow, it seems like a long time ago that Brooke closed the premiere episode of Season 13, dazzling the judges with a powerful rendition of “Stone Cold.” As Season 13 rolled along, her star faded a bit. But she’s come back with a fury the past two weeks with her covers of “Amazing Grace” and “Faithfully.” Looking for vocal firepower in your Season 13 champ? Brooke’s your contestant.
Keep checking back from Voice Views between now and Monday’s performance finale.