Here’s more about the three-member sibling band. The Voice kicks off Monday, Sept. 20, on NBC.
* Girl Named Tom includes Bekah Liechty and her older brothers, Caleb and Joshua.
* They formed the band in the spring of 2019 in Pettisville, Ohio, then relocated to South Bend, Indiana in 2020. As for that name? Well, Bekah’s infant nickname, as given by Joshua, was “Thomas.”
* During their first year as a band, they toured 27 cities and played 67 shows, traveling across the country in a minivan.
* Caleb and Joshua are graduates of Goshen College, where they minored in piano performance and vocal performance, respectively. According to a story about the trio in the Goshen College newspaper, Bekah “sang literally anywhere and everywhere when she was young.”
* In that article, Caleb said it was their mom Holly who inspired the band. “We’d always been told we should be the next Von Trapp singers, but none of us kids had ever taken the idea seriously until our own parents supported it,” he said.
* For a group that formed so recently, Girl Named Tom has released a good deal of music, including a five-song debut EP called “Another World” in 2019, a single called “Backup Plan” from earlier this year (check it out below) and an album of mostly cover songs, “Hits from the Road,” released in February.
* The band spells out its goal on the Girl Named Tom website: “We seek to create harmony in a society divided. We believe that as we share our music with our three unique voices, we can inspire the world with a common goal: To fly and help each other fly.”