Here’s more about Lila:
* She’s an artist from Seattle who is in her mid-20s and calls her music a fusion of jazz, folk and singer-songwriter styles.
* And she’s one of a number of Season 24 contestants who has already released music.
* In her case, that includes a six-song EP called “In Another Life” from 2021 and more recent singles, “Come Loose” and “All I Expected.”
* In a 2021 interview with the Daily Trojan, Lila says she grew up around music. Her mother is a classical pianist.
* Lila said she started “getting really into jazz” in high school and decided she was going to pursue music in college as well.
* She wound up attending the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California and was a student there when she released her EP.
* A successful Kickstarter campaign helped fund that EP, which Lila says was recorded when COVID-19 hit and the world shut down. Be sure to check out “Red Rocks” and “Woah” from that collection; they’re particularly impressive.
* Lila was also involved with Thorton’s Afro-Latin American Jazz Ensemble and named the recipient of the Manilow Scholarship while at USC.
* Her latest single, “All I Expected,” dropped in early June. There’s also a music video, which you can check out below.
* She says she wrote the song in 2021 after months and months of writer’s block.
* ” I was standing in line with a friend, listening to her recount the troubles in her relationship,” Lila recalls on social media. “She described a phone call with her dad where he asked, so … is love all you expected it to be?’ The wheels started turning and later that day this song was born.”
* She told the Daily Trojan her time was USC was integral toward her development as a singer-songwriter. ““I came to USC knowing that my voice, and my original style was in me somewhere, but I hadn’t really discovered it or developed it yet,” she said.