Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 27. Here’s more about Kaylin.
* She’s a young country singer-songwriter from Raleigh, N.C., who moved to Nashville after high school.
* She’s released lots of music already, including a pair of singles last year — “Big Fish” and “When He’s Been Drinking.” Kaylin also released a music video for “Big Fish.” Check it out below.
* She told American Songwriter that song was inspired by a bit of wisdom passed along by her mother. “She would always tell me it’s easy to be a big fish in a little pond, as a way to keep me humble and grounded, and man was she right. I think a lot of artists and songwriters that come from small towns get hit with that truth when they move to Nashville and they realize how much great talent there is here.”
* Kaylin also recently announced a new single, “Because of Me,” which is available for pre-save on streaming sites and will be out Feb. 25.
* Kaylin also released four songs in 2020, including a Christmas single called “Grandma Got Lit.” The others are “Know You Like That,” “Break Up Proof” and “Out of My Town,” her debut single as Kaylin Roberson. All are available on streaming services.
* And she previously released music under the stage name KMR. You can check out some of those songs on her YouTube channel.
* In her website bio, Kaylin explains that she relied on music as a coping mechanism after being injured in a dog attack at age 9. That attack left her on life support, required reconstruction surgery and sidelined her from singing for a while.
* She began writing music and pursuing her goal of a career in music around age 14, performing shows around the Raleigh area. As a teenager, she also visited other high schools across the country, using her music to combat bullying, her website says.
* Kaylin’s still involved in good causes. In mid-December, she was one of a number of performers at a Nashville show to support a winter clothing drive for the needy. Country duo Thompson Square headlined the event.
Keep checking back …
I’ll be posting profiles of about 50 top contestants who auditioned for American Idol Season 20. Profiles of the singers listed below will be coming soon. More names might be added. The links take you to the profiles already published.