American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 27.
* This will mark Jordan’s second appearance in a televised singing competition. As Jordan Chase, he earned a spot on Season 17 of The Voice, turning two of the four coaches’ chairs with his cover of “Makin’ Me Look Good Again” by Drake White.
* Jordan was 19 at the time and said his Voice audition marked his first performance in front of a live audience. He joined Team Blake. He was eliminated in the second phase of the show, the battle round.
* Classifying his music as R&B / soul, Jordan has since released his first EP, a three-song project called “Finding My Way” also under the shortened stage name Jordan Chase. It came out last January, and you can check out the title track below.
* And Jordan’s far from a novice at live shows now. In addition to performing his original music, he’s part of a band called “The Neighbors You Know,” which covers R&B and funk classics and gigs along the Gulf Coast.
* Jordan, 21, was born in Pensacola, Fla. His family moved to New Orleans when he was 3 and spent several years there, which Jordan says influenced his music.
* His family’s time in New Orleans was cut short by Hurricane Katrina and they moved back to Florida. Jordan’s mom told The Voice that he seemed withdrawn after that experience, but a puppy and music helped bring him out of his shell.
* At first, the music didn’t include singing. He played instruments — bass guitar and percussion — with the worship team at his church. He didn’t begin singing seriously until his senior year in high school.
* Jordan says his influences include Marc Broussard, Ray Charles, Anthony Hamilton, Calvin Richardson and many great Gospel artists, including Rance Allen and Marvin Sapp.
Keep checking back …
I’ll be posting profiles of about 50 top contestants who auditioned for American Idol Season 20. Profiles of the singers listed below will be coming soon. More names might be added. The links take you to the profiles already published.