American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 27. Here’s more about Sir Blayke.
* He’s a 28-year-old Los Angeles-based R&B artist.
* He’s also another of the Season 20 auditioners who has already released music. In his case, that includes an 2019 EP “1137 Merrill St.” and a 2020 single, “Get Along.” Sir Blayke certainly shows off his range on the latter, which you can check out below.
* Sir Blayke is from Chicago, where he grew up listening to pop, R&B and gospel music. He got involved in music at age 16.
* According to a local newspaper story, he’s written songs for Queen Niaja, Teyana Taylor, Empire, The Bonfyre and others.
* A gay male, he said being a black man who wants to break into the pop songwriting world has been more challenging than issues regarding his sexuality. He made the comment during a Pride Month podcast with JG Music Education.
* In the same interview, Sir Blayke said he left home because of a toxic relationship with his father and moved to Atlanta. He was actually homeless while working as an intern at Icon Studios.
* One of his first big breaks came when he was in Lennox Mall, filling out job applications. He spotted Ester Dean, ran up and introduced himself. She agreed to listen to one of the songs he wrote and they wound up working together. “I literally didn’t know what I was doing with my life at that moment. That felt like a big break for me,” Sir Blayke said.
* April 2020, he posted a Facebook message to his younger self, writing “All your life, there will be people telling you what you should do, what you shouldn’t do, and who you should be. I promise you most of them will be wrong. Continue to use discernment to help you navigate.”
Keep checking back …
I’ll be posting profiles of about 50 top contestants who auditioned for American Idol Season 20. Profiles of the singers listed below will be coming soon. More names might be added. The links take you to the profiles already published.