American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 27. Here’s more about Douglas.
* Douglas found out he’d be auditioning for Idol when a crew from the local ABC station showed up at his school — the Kinder High School for Performing and Visual Arts in Houston — in September.
* Douglas thought he’d be singing a song for the news crew and leading them on a tour of the school. Instead, when he finished singing, his teachers presented him with an Idol ticket that allowed him to skip the open-call audition process. You can check out the TV clip below and hear him sing his own version of “She Used To Be Mine.”
* The TV station has since done a follow-up, confirming that Douglas wowed the producers and advanced to an audition in front of Idol’s superstar judges.
* Douglas’s reaction to his surprise Idol ticket: “I was so shocked and overwhelmed, I didn’t know what to think. I believe I’m going to make it very far, but if I don’t, I will be happy with having the experience.”
* Douglas, 18, is a senior at Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. One of his only music samples on Instagram is his first performance at the school as a ninth-grader, a cover of “Colorbind.”
* Douglas has also overcome medical problems. One of his legs is longer than the other, leading to multiple surgeries that required him to spend eight months in a wheelchair.
Douglas on social media:
Keep checking back …
I’ll be posting profiles of about 50 top contestants who auditioned for American Idol Season 20. Profiles of the singers listed below will be coming soon. More names might be added. The links take you to the profiles already published.