American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 27. Here’s more about Jacob.
* Some Idol fans might remember him. His audition aired in Season 17, when the then 24-year-old from Dansville, Mich., advanced all the way to the Top 70 before being eliminated on the final day in Hollywood.
* Jacob auditioned that year with Ariana Grande’s “Into You.” Katy Perry said he had the best voice the judges had heard in the Kentucky auditions. Lionel Richie called his voice gorgeous. And Jacob received his golden ticket by a unanimous vote. You can check out that audition below.
* At the time of his audition, Jacob was working at a nursing home and said he frequently performed for the residents there. In June, he announced he’d be attending Spring Arbor University in Michigan to become a nurse practitioner.
* Jacob’s been singing for most of his life and hails from a musical family. In fact, he sang “Auld Lang Syne” alongside his sister and his father, who played guitar, to help viewers of his local NBC station welcome in 2022.
* He stopped by the same station’s Christmas Eve show to sing “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas” and “O Holy Night.” He was again accompanied by his father.
* Jacob doesn’t appear to have released music and hasn’t updated his YouTube channel since his previous run on Idol. But he’s continued to post covers to Instagram and Facebook. His most recent is a cover of “Arcade” by Duncan Laurence.
* In June, he took to Instagram to come out as bisexual, saying he had “severely struggled my whole entire life with my sexuality.” But he wrote that he’s finally at peace with himself and introduced his boyfriend, Corey.
Keep checking back …
I’ll be posting profiles of about 50 top contestants who auditioned for American Idol Season 20. Profiles of the singers listed below will be coming soon. More names might be added. The links take you to the profiles already published.