American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 27. Here’s more about Jay.
* Idol is introducing a new twist to the audition round this season: platinum tickets. One singer from each audition city — Los Angeles, Austin and Nashville — will receive a platinum ticket, allowing them to sit out one day of Hollywood Week and select their duet partner.
* Thanks to promos already airing, we know Jay received one of those platinum tickets. Katy Perry dubbed him a superstar after hearing his rendition of Stevie Wonder’s “Sign, Sealed, Delivered.”
* Jay — first name Jeremiah — is from Salisbury, Md., and graduated from Salisbury University in May 2020, majoring in music and theater.
* He sang for and on behalf of SU in more than 200 performances during his time there, according to an article in The Star Democrat. That included university theater productions of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” “Jesus Christ Superstar” and “Hairspray.”
* The article was to announce Jay’s selection as commencement speaker for a ceremony that was held virtually because of the pandemic. Jay called it a “surprising honor” and said he planned to pursue a career in all aspects of the performing arts including Broadway, film and producing.
* Shortly after graduating, he placed first in the Upper College Men’s Musical Theater category of a national singing competition held by the National Association of Teachers of Singing. The win came with a $1,600 cash prize. That win came eight years after he performed on a local TV station, singing “Hallelujah.”
* And a month before his college graduation, Jay posted a letter of acceptance from the Boston Conservatory at Berkley, adding that he intended to attend as a graduate student in what would have been the fall of 2020.
* He apparently hails from a musical family. On Facebook, he has posts cheering on the musical accomplishments of his uncle Josh Copeland and his cousin Madison Copeland.
Keep checking back …
I’ll be posting profiles of about 50 top contestants who auditioned for American Idol Season 20. Profiles of the singers listed below will be coming soon. More names might be added. The links take you to the profiles already published.