American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 27.
Here’s more about Sage.
* She’s 21-year old Sage McNeely, a singer-songwriter from Burbank, Calif.
* in 2020, she was a winner in the popular voice category of the National YoungArts Week competition.
* She performed a soulful original, “I Almost Got Away with It” at the New World Center in Miami, Fla. You can check out the performance below.
* In 2019, she won a $5,000 scholarship as one of two grand prize winners in the non-classical voice category of the Music Center’s Spotlight program for young musicians.
* Her prize also included a performance at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. Sage performed “Masterpiece” by Jazmine Sulllvan.
* She was a high school senior at the time, said she performed pop, jazz and classical music and aspired to become a recording artist.
* She’s a graduate of Burroughs High School where she was a member of the school’s popular Powerhouse Choir.
* Sage released her first music Tuesday, a two-song project called “Metamorphisis.” You can check out a visual for one of the songs — “Reverse” — on her Instagram. In posting about her new music, she thanks her father writing: “My dad is my musical inspiration and without him, I would be lost.” The release got immediate praise from some of Sage’s fellow female contestants on Idol.
* Sage announced her Idol audition in early January, inviting followers to tune in “to see me sing my little heart out and hopefully steal America’s.”
Keep checking back …
I’ll be posting profiles of about 50 top contestants who auditioned for American Idol Season 20. Profiles of the singers listed below will be coming soon. More names might be added. The links take you to the profiles already published.