Here’s more about Talakai.
* He’s an R&B and hip-hop artist from Sacramento, Calif. who looks a heck of a lot like John Legend.
* He also scored a hit as a youngster with a song called “Beautiful Creation,” released in 2008 under the stage name Young Dee the Singer.
* That song has more than 300,000 streams on Spotify, and DeAngelo Talakai released an updated version of the song in 2002.
* That’s just one of about a dozen singles he’s released as Talakai. The most recent, “Made for You,” dropped a year ago.
* In his Spotify bio, Talakai says he used music and poetry as his escape from the reality of growing up in foster care and being a victim of abuse and hardship.
* “I decided to take control of what I could and that was always how I made people feel with my voice and my music,” he writes.
* And on TikTok, he recalls one of his many foster mothers telling him that music “isn’t going to take you anywhere … Stick to finding a real job!” His reaction: “Why not do both?” His message: Don’t let others keep you from doing what you’re passionate about.
* In that Spotify bio, Talakai says he’s also battled mental illness and depression, something he takes on in his 2020 single “Beautiful Day.”
* “When I wrote this song it helped me battle my anxiety and depression,” he wrote on Instagram. “Life isn’t perfect, but I try my hardest daily to see beauty in it.” You can check out the music video below.
* Talakai, who has also use the stage name D Young, describes himself as a “R&B singer who sometimes expresses my passion in melodic rap and spoken word. My poetry is turned into a song that speaks to listeners willing to invite me into their hearts.”