His audition: Josh Hoyer, 40, of Lincoln, Neb., auditioned with “Oh Girl” by the Chi Lites. He was well into the performance when Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani turned around. Blake said he loved how much character Josh has in his voice. Josh joined Team Blake.
His background: He and his wife have been married for 10 years and have two daughters. Josh says he’s always been drawn to music and is currently a working musician and bartends at the Zoo Bar, a blues and roots music club. As for music, he formed a band called Josh Hoyer and Soul Colossal about four years ago. He describes the group as a soul, funk and R&B band that did 150-some shows in more than 30 states last year. He says the Voice opportunity comes at the “tail end of a lot of struggles.”
What the show didn’t show:
* Josh’s Voice bio says he played saxophone and sang in jazz choirs throughout middle and high school and turned down a soccer scholarship to pursue music after graduating.
* The bio also says he performed through Oregon and Louisiana before forming his current band, Josh Hoyer and Soul Colossal.
* Josh Hoyer and Soul Colossal also includes Mike Dee (sax), James Fleege (bass), Benjamin Kushner (guitar), and Larell Ware (drums).
* They’ve been quite busy, recording three albums in the last three years with plans to release another EP in 2017.
* Those albums include an eight-track self-titled project from 2014, the 10-track “Living by the Minute” from 2015 and the 11-track “Running from Love” last year.
* The latter was recorded at the historic Sound Emporium in Nashville. You can check out two of the tracks below.
* The lead single from the latest album — “Natural” — was also released as an excellent Silver Street remix single. You can check out the music video below.
* The band is also offering a vinyl-only live album on its website.
* The band has opened for the likes of George Clinton, Charles Bradley and Booker T. Jones.
* Josh Hoyer and Soul Colossal will head out on a 28-city European tour later this year.
* Josh met his wife, Sarah, during his bartending gig at the Zoo Bar, where he also performs.
“Natural” from the 2016 “Running from Love” album
“Soul Mechanic” from the 2016 “Running from Love” album