American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 19 for its Season 21 premiere.
Here’s more about Jayna.
* At age 14 back in 2016, Jayna was featured on America’s Got Talent Season 11.
* Her performance of Andra Day’s “Rise Up” earned a golden buzzer from judge and former One Direction member Louis Tomlinson. Versions of that performance have been viewed more than 4 million times on YouTube.
* She also performed “Summertime” and “Rise” — a song by Idol judge Katy Perry — before being eliminated in the semifinals on that show.
* Said Jayna in a 2021 interview: “After America’s Got Talent, so many doors open. The entire thing kind of changed my life. I’ve never stopped performing. I’m always pursuing that.”
* The interview was done partly to promote her first music video for a song called “Never Been.” Jayna said she handled the editing for that video, which you can check out below.
* “Never Been” is one of seven songs she has released as Jayna Elise, beginning with a three-track EP, “Flowers and Petals,” in 2020.
* Her most recent single is a song called “Lionheart,” which dropped in the fall of 2021.
* In a 2020 interview, Jayna said she began singing at age 4 and taking it seriously — and starting songwriting — around age 10.
* She grew up in the Baltimore-Washington metro area and attended the Duke Ellington School of the Arts High School, crediting that experience for helping develop her artistry.
* She’s also done a bit of acting, landing a small role in Tyler Perry’s “Madea’s Neighbors from Hell.”
* Jayne has since relocated to Los Angeles and, in October, announced that she’d joined the Brill Building publishing label.