American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 19 for its Season 21 premiere.
Here’s more about Kayleigh.
* She’s a teenage singer from Sumrall, Mississippi, who has also done some modeling.
* Kayleigh said she realized her passion for singing at a young age. “From the time my feet would hit the floor in the morning to the time I’d go to bed I was always tapping, humming, singing, whistling, anything musical.”
* It helped that her parents both sing and her father plays guitar, so she grew up in a musical family and credits her parents for the support they’ve shown to her musical endeavors.
* She says she was just 4 when she performed her first solo — “Happy Birthday, Jesus” — at the church she used attend.
* According to her web bio, Kayleigh “has spent years competing in pageants, performing in talent shows, walking the runway showcasing her modeling technique and taking center stage sharing her exquisite unique vocals.” She modeled at Fashion Week in New York in 2019 when she was just 13.
* She hasn’t released music to streaming sites yet, but has posted video covers of two hits from past Idol standouts — “The Good Ones” by Gabby Barrett and “Temporary Home” by Carrie Underwood. Check out the latter below.
* Kayleigh said the latter struck a chord because she lost her own grandfather to cancer. “He said those same things to my dad when he was about to pass away talking about ‘Well, don’t cry for me because I’m gonna see y’all again one day.’ So that song really makes me a little emotional, but I love to sing it.”
* She says one of her inspirations is Miranda Lambert “because she doesn’t care what anyone thinks. I really look up to that because back when I was in school, or whenever I started homeschooling, people had some things to say about me modeling and singing and so I it kind of got to me. I started listening to her music more … and she really helped me through that with her positive music.”
* Kayleigh says she wants to make sure her own music “gives a positive outlook on things, especially because things are so negative right now.”