Here’s more about Dia Malai.
* She’s an R&B artistb, born and raised in Queens, N.Y.
* In a “Get To Know Me” video on her YouTube channel, she said Dia Malia is her full first name.
* In elementary school, she wondered why she was the only student with two first names. Her mom, she said, blamed it on a mistake by the nurse who filled out her birth certificate.
* In the same video, Dia Malai says she started writing poetry at a young age, fell in love with music around age 7 and realized she had singing talent around age 9.
* She’s released a good bit of music, beginning with singles called “I’m Up” and “Reconsider” in 2016.
* A year later, she released her biggest project to date, a seven-song EP called “Echostreet.” “She also released a music video for “Destiny,” one of the songs on that EP.
* Her latest release was a featured vocal on “Shalala,” a reggae single released by O Banga in September 2021. You can check out the music video below.
* At about the same time, she wrote on Instagram: “My greatest goal in this lifetime is to leave a mark on this world so prominent that my energy still lingers on the surface after my time has come to past. So pardon me if I shake the table from time to time .. I’m just walking in my purpose!”
* She apparently tried out for Season 20 of American Idol as well. She posted a brief video of Ryan Seacrest reacting to the color scheme and outfit she wore to her audition.
* The blind audition song choice was a tribute to her beginnings in music. Dia grew up singing Mary J. Blige songs with her mother.