American Idol returns to ABC on Sunday, Feb. 19 for its Season 21 premiere.
Here’s more about Oliver.
* He’s a 24-year-old singer-songwriter who was born in Michigan, grew up in Mount Juliet, Tenn., and now gigs around Nashville.
* He doesn’t appear to have released music, but he’s affiliated with Breedlove guitars. His bio on the Breedlove site says he’s working on his debut album.
* His father was a blues guitar player “who would ensure music would surround (Oliver) throughout his life,” according to that same bio.
* That said, Oliver admits on Instagram that in mid-2021 he “was starting to question my dream of being a musician.”
* He was reflecting on that time while announcing that he was officially affiliated with Breedlove, thanking the company “for helping to make a seemingly unfathomable dream come rue.”
* Since then, he’s performed So Far Sounds shows in Nashville and L.A., posting his cover of Jamey Johnson’s “In Color.”
* It’s a song he chose to perform because he always used to sing it with his father, Oliver explained.
* He calls Jack Johnson his biggest influence, writing “ever since I was a kid, @jackjohnson ‘s music and message has meant so much to me. Now, as a musician on my own journey, Jack has influenced so much of who I am as a performer, player, and writer. ”
* You can head to the Pitch Meeting YouTube channel to check out a couple of Oliver Steele originals — “Too Soon (To Say I Love You)” and “If You Could See What I See.”
* Oliver doesn’t take himself too seriously. He describes himself as a singer-songwriter, guitarist and “huge nerd” on TikTok where you can check out videos of him dancing with his cat.
Oliver on social media:
When Oliver started his audition he, supposedly, cried about his dad. If you go back and look you will see that there were no tears. When Oliver did his duet with Iam, he said, “I’m here beside you” when Iam started being emotional about his guitar.” But go back and look at the entire duet. At the end, during the handshake, Oliver is obviously angry and pushes Iam away. He wasn’t there for Iam. He was there for Oliver. He didn’t cry about his dad. He was there to garner sympathy. He should have just stated that he was auditioning for his dad and not have ‘tried’ to cry. I think Oliver is a great singer, but otherwise I think he is a fake!